- Advertisement -
Recipe for Methi Idli
Prep Time 4 hrs
Cook Time 15 mins
Resting Time 10 hrs
Total Time 14 hrs 15 mins
- 2 cups Raw Rice
- 2 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp Salt
- Water as needed
Take raw rice in a wide bowl and rinse well with enough water. Soak it for about 4 hours. Similarly rinse and soak the fenugreek seeds separately.
After soaking, fenugreek seeds would have doubled in size. Add it to mixer and grind very finely. While grinding, add water in steps and ensure you obtain pouring consistency batter.
Transfer the fenugreek batter to bowl and add soaked rice in to the same mixer. Add required water and grind it to little coarse batter. Transfer it to the same bowl.
Mix both the batter evenly and let it ferment for 10 hours. Next add salt and pour batter to the idli mould. Steam cook for 15 minutes.
Very healthy and soft methi idli (vendhaya idli) is ready to serve chutney and sambar.
- The fenugreek seeds and rice should be soaked for at least 3 hours.
- While grinding fenugreek seeds, add water incrementally to obtain thin pouring consistency batter.
- Rice should be ground little coarsely like sand.
- Good hours of fermentation is very important for soft and spongy idli. In warm places 10 hours of fermentation is enough where as cooler places need more hours.
- When batter is properly fermented, the idli would never taste bitter.
- Optionally you can add some jaggery to batter.