- Advertisement -
Prepare time: 30 min
Cook: 15 min
Ready in: 30 min
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin
- 1 tsp chana dal
- pinch hing /asafoetida
- few curry leaves
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp carrot, grated
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 cup rava / semolina / suji, coarse
- ¾ cup curd / yogurt
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp eno / fruit salt
- 5 cashew, halves
- Heat 3 tsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard, ½ tsp jeera, 1 tsp chana dal, pinch hing and few curry leaves.
- Add 2 tbsp carrot, ¼ tsp turmeric and saute for 2 minutes and now add 1 chilli, 1 inch ginger and saute for a minute.
- roast for 5 minutes or until the rava turns aromatic.
- keeping the flame on low add 1 cup rava and roast well.
- cool the rava completely and transfer to a bowl.
- Add ¾ cup curd, 2 tbsp coriander and ½ tsp salt.
- mix well forming a thick batter.
- now add ½ cup water and mix well forming a smooth batter.
- rest for 20 minutes or until the rava absorbs water.
- mix well and add water as required, to form an idli batter consistency batter.
- grease the idli plate with oil and place cashews in the centre.
- just before steaming add a ¼ tsp eno (fruit salt) and mix well till it turns frothy. alternatively, add a pinch of baking soda.
- pour the batter immediately into the idli plate. do not rest the batter.
- steam the rava idli for 15 minutes on medium flame.
- Now serve instant rava idli with coconut chutney and sambar.