VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE
1. 1/2 medium-sized (100g/4oz) aubergine (eggplant) cut into 2cm x 1cm/¾in x 1/2 in sticks
2. 2 small carrots (100g/4oz), peeled and cut into 2cm x 1cm/¾in x 1/2 in sticks
3. 100g/4oz/1 cup peas
4. 100g/4oz/1 cup French beans, cut into 2.5cm/1in pieces
5. 1 medium-sized potato (100g/4oz), peeled and cut into 2cm x 1cm/¾in x 1/2 in sticks
6. 50g/2oz/ 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
7. 4 fresh hot green chillies
8. 2 tbsp white poppy seeds
9. 1 1/4 tsp salt
10. 3 medium-sized tomatoes, roughly chopped
11. 1 tbsp natural plain yogurt
12. 1 tsp garam masala
13. 2 tbsp chopped, fresh green coriander
How to make the Vegetarian Curry:
- Place the aubergine (eggplant), carrots, peas, French beans and potato in a medium-sized
saucepan. Add 250ml/8fl oz/1 cup water. Bring to the boil. Cover, turn the heat
to medium and cook for 4 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Meanwhile put the coconut, chilies, poppy seeds, and salt in the container of an
electric blender. Add 150ml/5fl oz water and grind to a fine paste. Set aside.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the spice paste and another 150ml/5fl oz water.
Stir and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Now add the tomatoes, the yogurt, and the
garam masala. Stir gently to mix well. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 2-3
minutes. Turn into a serving dish and garnish the vegetable curry with the fresh coriander.